This video was created in partnership with:
Severed body parts
In this video, you will learn to administer first aid to a person with a severed body part.
- Put on gloves, if available.
First Aid Techniques:
1/ Apply pressure
- Apply pressure to the wound immediately with a clean cloth or plastic bag.
2/ Have the casualty lie down
- Lay the casualty on their back to avoid worsening their condition.
3/ Call the emergency services
- Call the emergency services.
- Ask the casualty to apply pressure themselves, so that you can search for the severed body part.
If they are unable to do so, you should apply a pressure dressing with cloth and a wide tie.
4/ Conserve the severed body part
- Recover the severed limb.
Wrap it in a clean piece of cloth and put it in a plastic bag on ice.
This will preserve it until it can be surgically reattached.
A tourniquet should not be used! If it is not properly applied, there is a risk of causing serious complications, including amputation.
- Cover, monitor and reassure the casualty.
Loading comments ...