The video was created in partnership with:
In this video, you will learn what to do if someone has food poisoning.
The following symptoms may appear 1 to 24 hours after eating contaminated food: nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, fever and dehydration.
First Aid Techniques:
1 – Lay the casualty down
- Have the casualty lie down.
2- Call a doctor
- Call a doctor and follow their advice.
Do this as quickly as possible if the person is particularly vulnerable, e.g. an elderly person, a child or a pregnant woman.
3 – Keep a sample of the vomit
- If the person vomits, it is advisable to keep the vomit to show the doctor, but do not force them to vomit!
4 – Keep a sample of suspect foods
- Also keep samples of suspect foods, with a view to identifying the germs responsible.
5 Small quantities of water
- If the casualty asks for a drink, give them sips of water.