This video was created in partnership with:
In this video, you will learn to administer first aid to a person who has swallowed a chemical product.
Most cases of chemical poisoning involve drugs or cleaning products.
First Aid Techniques:
1- Determine the cause of poisoning
- Find out what type of toxic product has been ingested.
Try to determine how much was ingested and when.
2- Comfortable Position
- If the casualty is having trouble breathing, sit them down or help them into a position that aids breathing.
3- Alert the emergency services
- Call the emergency services, give them the information you have and follow their instructions.
4 – Nothing to drink
- Do not give the casualty anything to drink.
5 – Do not make the casualty vomit
Do not make them vomit, because the toxic product will burn the lining of the mouth and oesophagus a second time on the way up.
6 – Act according to the casualty’s condition
- Give first aid according to the casualty’s condition:
If they lose consciousness but are still breathing, place them in the recovery position and monitor them until medical help arrives.
If they stop breathing, start cardiopulmonary resuscitation, alternating 30 chest compressions with 2 rescue breaths.
If you don’t know how to give mouth-to-mouth breathing, do chest compressions only at a rate of two per second.
Poisoning by a chemical product